Thursday, March 12, 2009

Vulnerable

Before becoming a mother, my life belonged to me. I could eat, sleep and go out whenever I wanted. I could talk on the phone with no interruptions. I had complete freedom. I was not vulnerable to the intense fears I have as a mother.

After becoming a mother, I fear losing my children. I fear having to see them suffer in any way. This fear can be immobilizing, terrifying as I pray for God to protect each of my children. The intensity of love as a mother is almost too much to bear sometimes.

Maybe this fear and vulnerability is given to mothers to teach them to appreciate EVERY moment they have with their children? Not to take one moment for granted. Becoming a mother was the greatest gift from God. I will embrace it, even if my life no longer belongs to me.

No comments: