Saturday, January 31, 2009

What CAN I eat?

First of all, I have to say that I am dedicated to breastfeeding my children for 1 year (then they're cut off so I can take a vacation :) Well, my dreams of breastfeeding Elizabeth that long were almost crushed this past week as I heard devastating news about her health. She tested positive to allergies to milk, eggs, wheat, peanuts, and cats. The doctor straight out told me that I MUST stop nursing because the diet that I would need to follow is "virtually impossible." As he continued to tell me which formulas she will need to eat, I could feel the tears welling in my eyes. I didn't let it out until he closed the door, and left my baby girl and I alone in the small room. All I want is the absolute best for her, but I was NOT ready to give up nursing when I know that my milk is the best thing for her (minus all the allergens). How could this be happening? I cried at the thought that the last nursing session with her was when she was being pricked in the arm for an allergy test. I cried all the way home, calling a good friend who talked so supportively to me. Then my sadness became ANGER. That doctor didn't even give me the option to continue nursing. Don't give me that "virtually impossible" sh*t! It IS possible, if I truly want to remain dedicated to nursing. I began researching, and then went shopping to find some foods that I can eat (very limited). I have been eating this "elemental diet" for 3 days now with so much enthusiasm that I am doing this for my sweet baby girl's health, and I will continue this as long as I can in order to give her the BEST. I'm hoping that all these natural foods I consume will make me really skinny, too :) Never tell me that I can't do something because I will at least try to prove you wrong (moral of the story).

No comments: