Saturday, January 9, 2010

End of our special time

I have breastfed all three of my children, and enjoyed the closeness that it brings to the relationship. My breastfeeding relationship with Elizabeth has been even more special because I changed my way of living completely to continue nursing her. She was diagnosed with allergies to wheat, milk, eggs, and peanuts at 5 months old in which I was told that I "must stop" breastfeeding because the diet would be "virtually impossible to follow." I made the decision that I would do the "virtually impossible" and take all her allergens out of my diet in order to give her the best nutrition (my milk). Long story short, it was HARD in the beginning, but became easy when I saw her skin looking so beautiful and feeling so baby soft. I dedicated myself to her completely...eating and feeding her only the foods that contained no allergens. I LOVED my quiet nursing time with her. Nobody interrupted us...it was just her and I snuggled up together. Enough rambling...just wanted to express my sadness that this breastfeeding relationship has come to an end. I started weaning her from the daytime nursing sessions a few weeks ago, and this past week Elizabeth decided that she no longer needed to breastfeed before bed at night :( I was ready to continue for a few weeks or month longer with just 1 night feeding, BUT she refused. I held her, and cried silent tears for the end to such a special time with my "baby" girl.

On the other hand, I nursed her for 16 MONTHS. I followed that "virtually impossible" diet for 11 MONTHS. I gave my daughter the best of me, and I am proud! And, now I can eat some yummy food...off to eat some pizza! LOL

1 comment:

The Trotter Family said...

So? Did you get a really cute new bra and have some ice cream to celebrate?