Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Middle child neglect


I have a confession...a very difficult confession to say/type outloud. My middle child, Matthew, has been neglected in SO many ways. Don't get me wrong, he is very loved, and his physical needs are met. But, what about his emotional, psychological needs? I underestimate his ability to comprehend. I don't trust him to behave in most situations. I blame him every time his baby sister cries (if I didn't see what happened). I put him in timeout more than his brother. I expect him to be tough.


Reading what I just wrote, I'm not sure if I will post this? What a horrible mother! No wonder he is having emotional breakdowns (ok - it could be that he is 3 years old) and speech difficulties. I just pray that I can stop making all these mistakes with him, and just enjoy him, love him, trust him, and believe in him.


All of these thoughts are coming out because I took Matthew, only Matthew, grocery shopping with me today (his idea, not mine). I usually enjoy grocery shopping by myself, but Matthew soon became such a joy to have by my side. I was SO proud of his helpfulness, cooperation, and conversation skills. He chatted with me. He helped me pick out items at both stores. He listened to me. Our relationship grew closer as we spent time together. I love that kid! I'm so blessed to me his mommy.

No comments: