Saturday, April 4, 2009

Paralyzing Fear

As I stood in line for a huge inflatable slide (for my oldest son) at a spring event today, the "bunny girl" walked past us dropping plastic eggs for kids to pick up. He ran after her, disappearing into the unending crowd of people. I tried not to panic when I couldn't see him. But my mind began to wander into the worst thoughts of him being stolen or lost. I contemplated if I should stay in line in case he comes looking for me or go to find him. I chose the latter, forcing my middle son to sit in the stroller while carrying the baby in my arms I began to cut through the lines, my heart racing to a speed unimaginable. I wanted to scream out for him. I wanted to CRY out for him, but I tried to remain calm for my other children. Finally after what seemed like an eternity, Joseph emerged from the distance, walking toward me. I scolded him out of fear of losing him. I thank God that he returned to me, safe and sound. Even just telling the story of today makes me lose my breath.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is sooo scary when that happends. I htink every mom knows that feeling.

The Trotter Family said...

I haven't had that happen yet, but I am sure I would/will flip!